Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Devotion 2

Currently grappling with some work-related decisions on projects to take up or not take up etc. I really wanted God to convict me that it is "His" idea, not mine. In the midst of this, this devo really reminded me that it's really NOT about what I can offer to God, or what creative plans I can concoct - it's only by His Spirit that the task at hand can be achieved. Not quite the answer I am looking for, but part of it.


* * *

Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says the Lord Almighty. - Zechariah 4:6

One of the best-known verses in the Bible regarding the Holy Spirit is recorded in Zechariah 4:6. The word might comes from a Hebrew word meaning "a powerful force, an army, a band of trained, valiant soldiers." It also encompasses other resources, such as riches. The word translated power means "to be able to reach our goals by human ability--our own wisdom or clever manipulation of others." Zechariah is saying that we do not do the work of God by either great human strength or great human ability; we do it by the enabling of the Holy Spirit.

Exodus 31:1 says: "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'See, I have chosen Bezalel...and I have filled Him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts--to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship... Also I have given skill to all the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you.'"

My daughter, Becky, observed that God had to empower them by the Holy Spirit for the artistic work. For the past four hundred years they had done nothing but sit in the slime pits of Egypt and make mud pies. But when God called them to engage in works of artistic craftsmanship, He gave them the power of the Holy Spirit to do it.

When we are born again by faith in Jesus Christ, from that moment on we are to rely on the Holy Spirit's power and live under His control.

Prayer:

Lord, take control of me and use my life to bring glory to You. Amen.

To Ponder:

Is there any area of your life where you're not relying on the Holy Spirit's power?

- Navigators online devo 1 May 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home