Monday, April 09, 2007

super new book!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

i am a HUGE fan of becky brandon nee bloomwood. =D

for those not in the know, that's the name of the lead character in the Shoppaholic series (by Sophie Kinsella). I've been a faithful follower of the series since it first came out in about 2000. So far there's:

1. Secret Diary of a Shoppaholic
2. Shoppaholic takes Manhattan
3. Shoppaholic Ties the Knot
4. Shoppaholic & Sister

and the newest...

5. Shoppaholic & Baby

It's just so cool to have followed the characted through all the changes and events in her life, from singlehood to dating to marriage to now having a baby. I really feel with Becky as she goes through all this stuff, and find myself identifying so much with the way the author 'voices' what's happening in Becky's head in every situation.

She's a lot like me. Haha...

And no, it's not about being obesessed with money or material wealth. More than that, for all her frivolous ways and (sometimes) crazy shopping antics, Becky has a whole lot of HEART. passion for life. a fierce loyalty for her friends and, later, husband. and the courage to be who she is - most of the time.

in many ways i feel encouraged by this book. it reflects society's way of thinking of shopping, and reminds me that all too often we read people only skin-deep, but never see beneath the surface to what's underneath, what they really are like. sometimes, like Becky, I have felt misunderstood. misjudged. and while that's not an excuse to spend unthinkingly, it is an encouragement to me that what matters most is who i am inside, and being self-aware of who i am inside.

so... if anyone wants to borrow the book can ask lah.

BY THE WAY SOMEONE BORROWED THE MANHATTAN ONE AND THE WEDDING ONE FROM ME LAST YEAR AND I NEVER GOT IT BACK AND I FORGOT WHO I LENT IT TO. WHOEVER HAS IT PLEASE RETURN SOON HOR =)

Heh. thanks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home