Monday, February 07, 2005

when God writes your love story

i just started reading this book today on the bus home from work. bought it a month back on impulse cos the way it is written is so different from the typical dos-and-don'ts books of love 7 relationships. it's by this couple called eric and leslie ludy.

anyway i feel really blessed from reading this book. here some excerpts from their sharing that touched me:

* * *

LESLIE:
I yearned to be loved and cherished. I had dreamed of a perfect love story for my entire life. But somewhere in the midst of the endless cycle of one temporary romance after the next, my dreams had shattered right along with the broken and fragmented pieces of my heart.

"God where are You in this?" my heart cried. "I am Your child. All my life, You know I have longed for something beautiful. I have searched for true love. Does a pure and perfect romance even exist in this dark world of lust and perversion and sin? Should I even dare to dream of something beyond the shallow, meaningless, cheap version of love I've known so far?"

Then came a soft, gentle tugging upon my heart. Suddenly I knew that my life did not need to be this way and that God had something better for me. it was almost as if God Himself was reminding me, 'I am the Author of true love; I am the Creator of romance'.

It was as if God was tenderly standing before me, with tears of boundless love in His eyes, whispering to my heart, 'You have searched for true love in your own way. But my ways are not your wayas. I want to script a beautiful tale just for you, but first you must trust Me with the pen of this precious area of your life. Will you let Me write your love story?'

But what is He butchered the whole thing? I pictured myself trusting God with this precious area of my life, only to end up sitting in a long grey tentlinke dress, staring forlornly out the window and rocking my life away. No friends, no phone calls, no life whatsoever. I wouldn't get married until I was ninety-three, and it would be some Elmer Fudd-kind of guy I couldn't stand. We'd have four horrible years together, then die.

'Well Leslie, can you also believe that I am the God of all creation? I know you better than you know yourself, and I am perfectly able to bring this man into your life in My own time, in My own way... and I don't need your help.'


It wasn't too long after that tear-filled, hopeless night that my unforgettable journey began. It was a journey to discovering something I never before knew existed - the matchless beauty of a God-written love story. I was soon to discover that my most faithful Friend in the entire world, who loved me more that I could comprehend, had a plan for my love life that would take my breath away with its beauty.

As for God, his way is perfect. - Psalms 18:30

* * *

ERIC:
It was almost as if God was saying, "How seriously are you going to trust me, son?"

I remember telling God, upon my knees with tears brimming in my eyes, "I'm going to trust that You know what You are doing!"

Then with a trembling heart, I made a commitment to my Captain.

"I'm willing for You to do whatever You want in this area of my life!" I swallowed hard, then continued. "I am willing, almighty God, to be single! And, Lord, if you desire me to someday get married, then the next girl I date and give my heart to will be the one You show me is my wife!"

* * *

as i read this, i felt a huge amount of respect for leslie and eric. (i can't comment on the guy's perspective too much of course...) and i realised that i don't know if i myself can commit to such a statement. even as i told God that this is something i want to commit to on the bus as it rattled and bumped me along...

I'm willing for You to do whatever You want in this area of my life! I am willing, almighty God, to be single! And, Lord, if you desire me to someday get married, then the next man I date and give my heart to will be the one You show me is my husband!"

saying this, i feel a mixture of fear of the unknown and anxiety about whether I have been too open in sharing my thoughts and feelings, but also the calm assurance and peace that God is in control. =)

i know that it's gonna be hard process and i'll probably face many times when i want to just take control and manipulate situations to my advantage. yes, i'm sad to say that this is a 'girl thing'... so i do foresee that there will be many moments when i slip up or want to slip up, but ultimately, i felt that, hey, maybe this is what 'living out my faith' is all about.

not just saying God is sovereign and that God wants the best for me and that God loves me, but really having the faith to then give the 'pen' to Him, and let Him write out my life story - in love, in work, in family...

how about you? are you disillusioned by the imperfections of love and the fragility of your relationships? i want you to know that God really does understand who you are, and that He has a perfect plan for you. join me in waiting on Him to reveal that plan to us in his time =)

* * *

Before the world began

You were on His mind

And every tear you've cried

Is precious in His eyes

Because of His great love

He gave His only Son

Everything was done so you would come

also want to share this video with you. a friend shared it with me a while ago, and today i was reminded of it for some reason. go to this link and click on the video for "He's My Son".

 http://www.willowcreek.com/willowcharts/momypops.asp

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM , Blogger Rongjie said...

That is a Cool book. Yeah i also sometimes stuggle in this area of wanting and asking for a life partner! Many times on the train and in school often see couples walking ard then i ask God when is mine coming? Many times when i see another sister in christ i'm quite comfortable with i'll ask God "Is this the girl that You arrange for me?"

Most often i think i'm trying to intervene the work of the Lord, i seems to be rushing God in this area and not being ffaithful in waiting for His divine appointment for a life-long partner.One of the things that the Lord told me was to learn to be faithful to Him FIRST then the rest will come! It's like if you can be faithful to what is unseen then you can also be faithful to what is seen!

It seems quite true also! For me (a person who NEVER experience relationship with any girl) it might be hard. Well i do agreed wif letting God to take care of my love life! But i think ever since Meta camp i was wondering where do you draw the line between letting God to handle things and handle things by self? hmm... i guess i must learn to trust God in many areas of my life ba!! Happy Chinese New Year!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home